Tuesday 8 January 2013

[book review] Witchblood by Emma Mills





Series: Witchblood (1)
Kindle Edition: 195 pages
Published by: Emma Mills, (January 8, 2012)
My Copy: Emma Mills (author)

When Jess steals a glance at a gorgeous guy in a Manchester nightclub, little does she realise how he is going to change her life…or should that be death? Yet, the vampire clan could never have predicted what they were taking on. With Luke pronounced ‘off-limits’ and the blood of a vampire simmering in Jess’s body, can she forget the love of her life and move on? If not, she will risk exposing the entire Northern vampire clan to untold dangers, in order to live her life the way she wants. Can Jess be sure that Luke is all he appears to be? Will she succumb to the attraction she desperately tries not to feel for Daniel? And why does she still crave a packet of crisps more than a tasty teenage boy’s blood?



A book set in Manchester (that's in the UK in case you didn't know). We should have more books set in the UK, I've found most YA books are either set somewhere in America or Ireland. I love discovering books that are set in the UK, so obviously when I saw this book I just had to read it.

This isn't just another vampire story. There's some of the old world vamp stuff for it to feel familiar with just enough of a modern edge for it not to feel overused. Let's not forget there's a whole bunch of witchiness thrown in there for good measure.
Although I liked Jess, I felt like I just new too much about her. She seemed to spend a lot of time in her own head just pondering over guys. I would have liked to see more action from her.
I didn't feel like I clocked so much with Daniel, yeah he was nice enough but I don't know there was just something about him and I couldn't make myself trust him fully. Maybe I'm just a suspicious person who knows, I just feel like he's keeping too many secrets. 
Now Eva I absolutely loved. She's one of them girls you love to hate and then somewhere along the way... BAM! You're best friends. She definitely added the extra oomph to this book and it definitely wouldn't be as great without her. 
Although the beginning started off rather slow, I'm so glad I kept with it because pretty soon I was so engrossed in the book I was finished in no time at all. There where some twists in this story but I did see a few of them coming, although the biggy at the end totally threw me... I'm so glad I received this book and the second in the series from the author because there is no way I can stop reading these now.




No comments:

Post a Comment