Thursday 3 January 2013

[book review] Me Before You by Jojo Moyes




Hardcover: 384 pages 
Published by: Penguin Group Viking (December 31, 2012)
My Copy: Netgalley


Lou Clark knows lots of things. She knows how many footsteps there are between the bus stop and home. She knows she likes working in The Buttered Bun tea shop and she knows she might not love her boyfriend Patrick. 
What Lou doesn't know is she's about to lose her job or that knowing what's coming is what keeps her sane. 
Will Traynor knows his motorcycle accident took away his desire to live. He knows everything feels very small and rather joyless now and he knows exactly how he's going to put a stop to that. 
What Will doesn't know is that Lou is about to burst into his world in a riot of colour. And neither of them knows they're going to change the other for all time.


Honestly do not know where to start with explaining this book. I'd never read a book by this author before but my nan absolutely adores her and seeing as she knows me so much she's been trying to get me to read her novels for ages but I've always steered clear. Let me tell you what an idiot I was. Jojo Moyes is now one of my must read authors and I'm raving about her to everyone I know (I even bought the paperback version of this book for my mum for Christmas).
The cover doesn't really give much of this book away but I was expecting the usual chick-lit, light, fluffy stuff. What I got however was a complete emotion overload, even sitting here now, thinking about the book, my eyes are filling up.
This story, with its heart-wrenching storyline, beautiful characters and wry humour had me hooked till the very last page. I applaud Ms Moyes on the way she handled the sensitive subject of quadriplegia and the rights of disabled people. It had me re-assessing the way I viewed the world. I always thought I'd react in a certain way if faced with some of the choices presented in this book but now my mind has officially been opened and I couldn't be more thankful.
I thought I had this book sussed out by the first chapter, but even I couldn't comprehend the amazing journey that this novel took me on.
I did feel a little let down in the ending, it all just seemed to be over with way to quickly. If you like Marian Keyes you'll love Jojo Moyes!!
This book will stay with me for years to come. Ms Moyes I salute you!


No comments:

Post a Comment