Thursday 17 January 2013

[book review] On Dublin Street by Samantha Young




Series: On Dublin Street (1)
Paperback: 416 pages
Published by: Penguin (January 17, 2013)
Courtesy of: Netgalley 

Jocelyn Butler has been hiding from her past for years. But all her secrets are about to be laid bare . . . Four years ago, Jocelyn left her tragic past behind in the States and started over in Scotland, burying her grief, ignoring her demons, and forging ahead without attachments. Her solitary life is working well - until she moves into a new apartment on Dublin Street, where she meets a man who shakes her carefully guarded world to its core. Braden Carmichael is used to getting what he wants, and he's determined to get Jocelyn into his bed. Knowing how skittish she is about entering a relationship, Braden proposes an arrangement that will satisfy their intense attraction without any strings attached. But after an intrigued Jocelyn accepts, she realizes that Braden won't be satisfied with just mind-blowing passion. The stubborn Scotsman is intent on truly knowing her . . . down to the very soul.


Samantha Young writing an adult book? I had the exact same feelings as when Kresley Cole decided to write a non-steamy book. These where fear (that I'd hate it therefore ruining Samantha as one of my favourite authors), scepticism (it could go so wrong) & curiousness (Will it just end up being a smut fest or will there actually be a good story here). Like Miss Cole though, Samantha did an absolutely brilliant job of venturing outside her genre and probably gaining a whole new hoard of fans. 

Everybody raved about this book, and I can now see why. The story was beautifully written and the characters had so much depth, I could imagine them being an integral part of my life. 

Joss was such an interesting character, there was so much going on in her head I'm not surprised she was a little cuckoo. I saw some parts of myself in her, and boy did that scare me. Although there's a lot of darkness around Joss she still finds the time to have a pretty good sense of humour, 

“Babe,” he gave me a look that suggested I was missing the obvious, “I never kid about blowjobs.”
The sound of someone choking brought my head up. Our waiter had descended on us just in time to hear those romantic words and his rosy cheeks betrayed his embarrassment. “Ready to order?” he croaked out.
“Yes,” Braden answered, obviously uncaring he’d been overhead. “I’ll have the steak, medium-rare.” He smiled softly at me. “What are you having?”
He took a swig of water. He thought he was so cool and funny.
“Apparently sausage.” Braden choked on the water, coughing into his fists, his eyes bright with mirth as he put his glass back on the table.

Talking of Braden, him I didn't like so much. He was a little too 'caveman' for my liking. Okay so he's hot and obviously has issues, so I'll excuse his behaviour a little but I did just want to  slap him silly for how he acted towards Joss at times. 
Aww Ellie, sweet little Ellie. I'll admit I ended up crying because of her. I was all like 'why Samantha, why?' She was definitely my favourite character, she was so sweet and fluffy at the beginning. I kind of worried about her living with a narcissist like Joss. I didn't want her to lose all that made her, her. Obviously she ended up with some bad habits, but I think I'd forgive her almost anything.
This book is a must read and as much as I love Samantha Young's earlier work I can't wait to see what more she has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment